This was a very long project that started a year after I wrecked
the 1985-1/2 on Sept 6, 2003. I saved everything,
except the bent carcass ... and then began the search for another available
chassis. Once a new body/frame was found, it was stripped bare, and the
1985-1/2 was fitted into the 2 month older shell
... fuel system, wiring harness, engine & transmission.
The vin# & the headlights says its a 85... but under the skin
its a 1985-1/2... plus or minus.
Early on I decided this would not be the car FoMoCo had created.
The Mustang SVO was a unique 3 year experiment for its maker. A collection
of parts combined to better the GT. My build was to include what I thought
was good, change/improve/update what needed to be.
- I really like the Recaro seats, they're comfortable & a part of
the original SVO "package" along with the steering wheel...
so they're in there.
- The Fox 4 link rear suspension is ... menacing in a corner ... so
the upper control arms are gone, a torque-arm/watts link combination
now controls the rear suspension.
First & foremost was weight reduction...& distribution. Nothing was
put in that represented unnecessary weight. So being a body-in-black to
start, I only added what would add performance, service, simplicity ...
with the basics in comfort. 53.3% of its 2960 pounds is now on the front tires.
We all know keeping it light is good for handling. I have also found keeping the engine in a 2800 rpm sweet spot I can get 31 mpg at "Interstate speed".
- K&N air filter
- Ported/polished VAM
- Garrett - T3/T4E -turbocharger
Gillis boost control valve (18 psi)
- Aluminum bypass/diverter valve
- Thunderbird Turbocoupe Intercooler
- 65mm trottlebody
- Ported upper and lower intake manifold
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Esslinger adjustable cam timing Sprocket
- Ported E6 exhaust manifold
- 3" down pipe, exhaust, chambered-muffler
- 140 amp self regulated alternator
- Motorcraft High Performance Coil
- MSD plug wires
original rear-wing supports
- Cutout sections of the hood for better cooling/aero flow.
- Saleen style rear wing
- Monochrome paint style
- SPA Design Formula Car Mirrors
- 5 panel wink mirror
- Front brake cooling ducts
- Full roll cage
- Sub frame connectors
- Eibach Sportline springs
- Prothane poly bushings throughout
- Battery relocated to rear footwell
- Wheels & Tires:
- RPM R505 18x8 front, 18x9 rear
- Nankang NS-M 235/40ZR18, 255/35ZR18
- Front Suspension:
- 94-96 front lower control arms & spindles
- 1985 Lincoln Towncar master cylinder
- 1993 Cobra R-PBR front calipers
- 13" drilled front disc brakes
- Koni yellow struts
- Maximum Motorsport camber/caster plates
- Rear Suspension:
- 8.8" TracLoc rearend (w/stock SVO rear disc brakes) - 3.55
- Evolution Watts Link
- Koni red shocks
- 24mm hollow sway bar